Maui Tours & Activities
Maui - the Valley Isle
Maui is known as the "valley isle" because of the isthmus of land that connects the West Maui Mountains with Haleakala (the 10,000 foot volcano that is sleeping right now, but still considered potentially active). Maui is the second largest Hawaiian island, with the third largest population at 117,600. From tip to tip Maui is 40 miles long, and 25 miles wide. Maui offers the most swimmable beaches of all the islands, and offers a wide variety of accommodations and a wealth of recreational activities for visitors. If you like to DO THINGS on vacation, this is the island for you!
Maui has been voted "best island in the world" again and again by the readers of Conde Naste Traveler magazine. No where else on earth offers the diversity of beauty, exciting activity, and lavish luxury of the island of Maui.
The major airport is in central Maui in the town of Kahului. Most resorts are on the west side of the island, from the old whaling town of Lahaina and the beaches of Kaanapali to the golf course villas and resort hotels of Kapalua. The other major resorts are south, in the Wailea area, with a number of older condos in the town of Kihei. Popular day trips include excursions into the Hana rain forest or daily snorkel tours to Molokini or across the channel to the island of Lanai.
If you only have time to do one thing while you are on Maui, then you need to rearrange your itinerary so that you have time to stay longer! There's so much to do here! OK ... we'll break it down to two things. The bicycle ride down the slopes of the 10,000 foot tall Haleakala is the longest of its kind in the world. Maui has the best luaus in Hawaii, with great ocean sunset views in West Maui and South Maui.
If you are on Maui for a week we recommend that you look over our website carefully so you can decide which Maui events are best for you to squeeze into your week. There is so much to do here ... from snorkeling the incredibly clear water of Molokini crater .... to biking down a volcano ... to zipline tours over the rainforest canopy ... to the very best luaus in Hawaii ... to small group tours of the Hana waterfalls and black sand beaches ... Maui truly has it all!
- -Major airport is Kahului (OGG)
- -Population is 140,000
- -It is the second-largest island in the Hawaiian chain
- -Lahaina was once a thriving whaling port in the mid 1800's
- -Haleakala Crater is roughly the size of Manhattan ... the bike tour down its slopes is the longest downhill coast in the world
- -The famous "road to Hana" has 46 one-lane bridges and approximately 620 curves in the road
- -Molokini Crater is a small islet and a marine preserve 1 mile off the Makena coast
- -Maui County also includes the islands of Lanai and Molokai ... 1.2 million years ago they made up one giant island geologists call "Maui Nui"
- -Maui is such a popular wedding destination that it gave rise to the slogan "Just Mauied"